Thursday, March 16, 2017

Color & Sound

Things I noticed while looking at the screen caps for Hannibal where the colors were very prominent. I researched deeper into the meaning of those colors and what I could do in my own film to make an impact. I came across this video which explained all the different colors in film and their meanings and this video paired with the psychology which they represent. 



BLUE
RED

I will utilize this information when I'm lighting my scenes. I'll use the red to represent power and the blue will represent cold and isolation. Also in the cooking scenes I will use a lot of the natural colors of the food against white backgrounds and very normal lighting in order to create a sense of normality which will contrast with the other scene with is very dark. I'll be using the show Chef's Table as reference in how to light the specific scene.

Sound will also play a very important part in the begging sequence of the meal being cooked. I want to get sounds of everything happening in the scene so much so that the audience is transported into the film itself. I want sounds of  chopping, the pan sizzling, banging of the plate, everything, absolutely everything that's happening in the scene and more. A jazz or classical song will be playing under all the sounds to balance out the scene. The change in tone between the two sequences will also be apparent in the music of the film.This article I read explained the importance on audio in films and how it's half of the film. Also it should compliment the picture instead of trying to compete with it.