Saturday, March 11, 2017

Themes


My previous post I talked about what looked I wanted my film to have and now for the theme. I want to make a crime drama style theme to my film opening. I looked into some aspects to the theme and found this great video that did a fantastic job in explaining the genre. It talks about how the criminal confuses the boundaries versus right and wrong. The criminal doesn't know the boundaries and even when they do they chose to break them in order to achieve their goal.

I want my criminal to operate like a normal person during the day and during the night is when they transform into who they really are. Like a reverse batman kind of thing. I also don't want the criminal to be full on psychotic, and they need to have human qualities. If I were to make a full film out of this I would want people to walk out of the cinema and spend hours thinking about it, kind of like and episode of Black Mirror or the movie Shutter Island.


Hannibal
This post explained how Hannibal uses focusing, framing, and lighting to convey what's in a character's mind and how these techniques shape the viewers perception of what's happening with the story. Suffice to say I'm using Hannibal as a huge inspiration for this project because even though I've never actually seen the show the techniques it uses, like colors, composition, and lighting make me feel like I already know everything about what's happening in the show. I think that's an amazing achievement in visuals because the shot has so much context already and being paired with the audio it would only greater enhance the plot of the story.


Even though I'm using a TV show as inspiration I can still apply the techniques it uses to my film opening.

No comments: